Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Fish Tale

This past weekend I travelled to Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe. My "little sister" Britchi is staying here at Eden to work in the clinic for a month. So, as we do for many interns we packed up for an African adventure. This time we ended up at the lake. It wasn't my first time to see lake Kariba, but it was my first time to have the privilege to ride on the Ervine's boat across the lake.

This fishing trip I was determined to catch a fish seeing that I have had extremely poor luck, or skill, catching fish in Zimbabwe, a part from spear fishing. I focused extremely hard all four days trying to catch a fish. Every moment we were still on the boat I was fishing. In total I caught zero fish. I could probably even count the bites I had on both my hands. Fishing in the winter in Zimbabwe is hard work and requires lots of patience.

While I stood deep in thought waiting on the fish to bite last Saturday morning my little sister said, "This kinda reminds me of Jesus asking us to be fishers of men. It takes a lot of patience putting the Gospel out there and waiting for people to take an interest." Those words sunk deep into my heart. Yeah fishing for men. Jesus said he would make us fishers of men. I HATE fishing... it takes to much patience, focus, knowledge of how it feels when the fish bite, and the ability to strike at the right time. In reality, I am terribly at it. I LOVE fishing... the expectancy of something good and exciting happening, knowing that the reward is worth the work and wait, the thrill when you catch the fish.

"I will make you fishers of men." Yep, Jesus just sentenced us to a life of patiently offering the good news about Him every moment, ready to give an answer for the hope we have to anyone who asks.

I am not gonna lie, I hardly had the endurance to fish consistently for four days with no success. In that moment, however, the great part of that promise was that Jesus said he would make me into a fisher of men. I don't have to do it alone. I have the best fishing guide ever next to me on this boat. Jesus and I get to go on this adventure together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment