Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Give me the Cookie!

The other day I was traveling from Thohoyandou, SA to Pretoria, SA. The buses were on strike, so I took the trip on a "taxi," which actually was just a privately owned bus. I have been in Africa for a year and a half now and in general am accustomed to traveling and interacting with people along the way. I was the only white face in the taxi. This led to the stares of many dark brown eyes as I took my seat for the journey. I seldom notice the color difference between my skin and those of the Africa people around me, however, the eyes transfixed on my skin made me take notice on this day. I determined to be extra friendly to the people I was riding with to hopefully help them relax in spite of the murungu, makuha, the white girl.
After about 5 hours on the bus, I stood to stretch at one of our many stops. I had happily shared my bag of crisps with the gentleman seated next to me and now decided to share my chocolate cookies with the young woman just across the isle. I continue to observe the African people's generous nature in sharing the blessings in their lives. I wanted to follow suit. I smiled and greeted her and she returned the greeting. Then, I stretched out my hand with the package of cookies and said, "Would you like one?" She nodded, took the whole package from me, packed it away in her bag, and turned back to look at me before beginning a conversation with the woman in front of her.
I was quite surprised. The truth was I was hungry and wanted my cookies. The truth was I was upset with how little she seemed to care about my act of generosity. The truth was she should have had better manners than to take the entire package!

...

The truth is it takes 5 seconds for the attitude of my heart to sour. 5 seconds for my resolve to love like Christ to vanish - over cookies. Sometimes I feel horrified about how my fallen nature can take over in an instant.
I sat back in my seat and prayed for a "moyo murefu" (long heart). The reality of the situation, my heart is more important than my cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment