Friday, November 11, 2011

The Container, and old friends

Yesterday the team gathered our strength and set out to tackle the emptying of the container. After daily devos and breakfast we all marched out to begin the task. Now, unloading a semi-size container takes a good deal of time. I have unloaded many tucks and moving vans, and trailers in my life, but never anything this big. It was a hot, long, and rewarding task. 
First, Susan, Jamison, and I opened the doors while we were waiting for the res of the crew. The stuff towered above us. I smiled as a I gazed up at the first thing inside the doors, my mattress! It looked a bit shaking just standing there and as Jamison jumped up onto the container it shook and I saw Jamison's eyes get wide. He said, "woah." He told me there was a bunch of stuff just piled up loose behind it, like a coffee table, end table, large plastic kid toys, among others. He tried to begin unpacking it from the top behind the mattress and as he did it began to fall, I grabbed it and just stood there holding it, the end table, coffee table, and kids toys up waiting for help. Finally, we were able to lower it down with little collateral damage  (the only thing that broke was one of Heidi's dishes). It was a grand way to discover that customs had felt the need to go through everything there. All glory to God for the fact they left it all there and let it come on to Doma. we had lots of fun seeing all the blessings that had been sent Eden's way.
We loaded up trucks African style to transport Ian and Heidi's things to the Kluko house. I, being of an adventurous nature, and not a mom had the opportunity to be a human bungie cord. My job was to stand on the back of the truck and hold down the mattress and box-springs. While in transit a large gust of wind came up as the truck was shifting into second gear. The box-springs lifted of the tuck with the wind and I did my best to hold it down. The gust proved to strong and I just pushed it over my head (while standing on the truck) and it flew down to the road (don't worry mama I am just fine). That was the eventful part of the trip. After that we just stuck it back up there, I resumed my job and we finished transporting the goods.
Later that evening I had the chance to meet up with some friends I had made on my previous visit. I was so happy to see them. They all remembered me as well, which made the reunion even sweeter. More on that later, now I must continue sorting container items!

1 comment:

  1. The funny thing is I can imagine the sound you made and the look on your face as you were holding everything up with the mattress. I'm thinking something between exasperation and the "but a cute moose!" noise. Lol

    ReplyDelete