Monday, November 7, 2011

Settling In

Well, after a 9 hour car ride to DC, 17 hours in the air, and 3 hours driving to Doma Kevin, Susan (the couple who founded Eden Ministries), Ian, Heidi, Mikaya (Ian and Heidi's son), Jamison, Penny, Samuel (Jamison and Penny's son), and I all arrived safely.

The trip itself started out with many tears as we all said our goodbyes to families. As I stood in the ticket line the whole experience felt surreal. The entire process of checking in, security and boarding the first plane went without a hitch. The little ones did very well with the plane ride in spight of us being in the air for 13 hours. In fact little baby Deac (Samuel) did much better than I did with the experience. He slept for 8 of those hours, however, did not sleep a wink and felt exceedingly grumpy when the plane touched down in Addis Ababa Ethiopia. The turn around time between flights was only about 45 min, so before we knew it were to taking off again headed for Harare. I am happy to report that I slept 3 hours of the 4 hours flight and it's a good thing to because our day was just starting.
We landed in Harare around 12:30ish. After disembarking and filling out the needed paperwork we went to grab the bags. We found all but one carry on and with as many bags as we had that's a miracle in and of itself. After I sent out with my bags first while Ian filed a missing bag report and Jamison and Penny finished their paperwork. I answered a few questions, then was told I could go. I pushed the baggage cart out into the lobby and looked around for Rory (Eden's Human Resource Director) and Judy (Eden's RN) who were picking us up. I saw Judy and she greeted me with a big hug and kiss. Soon after the rest of the group came out of the baggage area with all there carts of luggage. Together we headed to the trucks and loaded up. Next on the agenda for the day was stocking up on groceries for the next month. Ian and Jamison were on truck gaurding duty as the rest of us pushed our 5 carts toward the store.
Shopping at Barclays in Harare was an interesting experience for sure. First of all, I really don't cook. Second, when I cook it is usually for two people and one meal. Third, most of the products are different companies than in the States so it's hard to know what to get. This all might have been dreadfully overwhelming except Kevin and Susan were with us to help us all along. Nevertheless, I found myself  feeling the jet-lag and even more exhausted after the process. Thankfully it was supper time. We ate at a Zimbabwe version of Burger King called Steers. It was enjoyable and the best part filling. I was definitely ready for it since I chose sleep instead of lunch on the plane. By the way, sleep was the right desicion. When I woke up they all said that lunch had been discusting.
The drive to Doma that evening was gorgeous. The sun set over the mountains and behind the trees. The countryside here really is beautiful. We pulled into the house around 7. After that it was put the groceries away and hit the sack.
Today I woke up to the sound of the Shona children singing before school (we all slept in because of our long journey). The sound echoed off the walls in my room. I love when people sing, and these kids can REALLY sing. It was a fantastic way to start my first day here. The rest of today will be filled with unpacking, resting, and planning out language learning. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts through my travel. Thanks to YHWH's hand all went wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment